March 25, 2010

The flambloyant Walasse Ting

Walasse Ting, a Chinese-American artist, was born in Shanghai in 1929. In 1946, he left China for Hong Kong and then moved to Paris in 1952. He got close to the avant-garde movement CoBrA. In 1957, he moved to New York and was influenced by Pop Art. He participated in the publication of One Cent Life, a major illustrated book of Modern Art. Walasse Ting, master of acrylic, has a characteristic style : colourful palette, intense light. In 1958, Ting wrote a series of poems My Shit and My Love, which was be published for the first time in 1961 by the Smith Gallery in Brussels.

JUST LOVE

I live white skeleton
Meet love
Blood jump
Rain flood night
We drink three thousand wine cup
Make one million love
Ten Thousand paintings
Sex cyclone
Conquers fire :
Six suns crash
Nine volcanoes spit
Seven oceans leap
Ninety nine dragons roar
Eight thousand thunders open in one second
Life great happy
Death not sad
Why I tremble?
Walasse Ting - in My Shit and My Love - 1961




Currently, the librairie Loliée offers :
  • TING (Wallasse). My Shit And My Love. 10 poems. Bruxelles, Galerie Smith, novembre 1961, in-4, stapled, illustrated cover. First Wallasse Ting 's publication with 2 original lithographs in colour. Limited to 1099 copies.